MASTER OF ARTS IN ENGLISH LANGUAGE AND LITERATURE
MA English is a 2-year post graduate course in English language and literature. . It is divided into four semesters in each of which students have got to study four courses along with a dissertation in the last semester. The courses cover English literary studies, theories, criticism and pedagogy, Linguistics, ELT, writing for the media and other courses.
The program aims at giving ample exposure and in-depth familiarity with diverse aspects of literature written across the world in different genres. The sixteen courses to be done to complete the program intend to prepare the learners to appreciate literature written in English and other regional languages, to critically analyse literary texts to uncover semantic underpinnings dexterously woven between lines, and to get profound insights to the organisation, complexity and workings of the English language. Another primary objective of the program is to ensure the students advanced mastery over all the four macro skills of English.
By successfully completing the program, learners are expected to develop:
- Very good command over all the macro skills of English.
- An aptitude for and Interest in English language and Literature.
- Critical and analytical faculties to read and interpret literatures written in English.
- Creative abilities to produce their own literary works.
- Life skills and critical thinking abilities to meet varied challenges in life.